It’s been a busy year of building and expansion for Erie Insurance.
Earlier in January, the Technical Learning Center opened. Then in June, the Erie Insurance Heritage Center, a building that celebrates ERIE’s 90-year history, opened its doors.
The latest addition to ERIE’s campus is the Erie Armory. This building is the former home of the Pennsylvania National Guard 112th Infantry Regiment. For 90 years, the men and women of the regiment came to the armory for training, deployment and to reunite with friends and family following their return home.
ERIE bought the building in 2013 with a goal of preserving the historic structure and transforming it into office space.
Before that happens, the 112th was honored with the dedication of a historical marker at the Armory. This patriotic event was attended by members of the 112th. Here are a few fun facts about the 112th and the Armory building:
- The 112th infantry regiment is part of the famed 28th Division, the oldest continuous infantry division in the U.S. Army. The 112th was originally known as the Pennsylvania 16th and can be traced back to the American Civil War. The 112th served in the Spanish-American War, World War I and Iraq, and earned Presidential Unit Citations in World War II and Korea.
- The 112th used the Armory until July 2007 and then relocated to the then newly constructed Pennsylvania National Guard Readiness Center near Cambridge Springs, Pennsylvania.
- The original section of the Armory was built in 1920. An expansion doubled the space in 1929. The structure included an administrative building and drill hall. A new entry was recently built for use by ERIE Employees who will begin working there this fall.
- The Armory was designed by Joseph F. Kuntz, a noted armory architect. He also designed The Andy Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh, the Art Institute of Pittsburgh and the Atlantic Building in Philadelphia, along with at least 18 armories in western Pennsylvania.
- The Armory was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1989. ERIE’s restoration of the 24,000-square-foot building is in line with requirements from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Renovations continue on the Armory into the fall. Once they are completed, select Erie Insurance Employees will make the new space their home.
Read the full story from Erie Insurance: “ERIE Opens the Doors to Renovated Armory Building“